May in the GardenApril 30, 2020
Natural Remedies from your gardenJune 1, 2020
Get Out, Get Healthy & Get Growing with Atlantic Fertilisers.
Make the most of this time at home and catch up on the things you “never have time to do”, such as gardening. Now is the perfect time to get outside and start preparing your garden for winter, as well as growing your own food.
Did you know that doctors believe that the act of gardening can help you switch off intrusive thoughts and promote a feeling of wellbeing?
Don’t believe us? We’ve rounded up the top health and wellness benefits courtesy of the International Association of Horticultural Producers to encourage you all to garden this month:
- A regular dose of gardening can improve your health. Studies report a wide range of health outcomes, such as reductions in depression, anxiety, and body mass index, as well as increases in life satisfaction, quality of life, and sense of community.
- Green space provides learning and curative processes that contribute to a sense of meaning and purpose in life.
- Our non-visual senses are also inspired by nature. Sound, smell, taste, touch, are all part of our appreciation of nature as measured by emotional and physiological mechanisms.
- Gardening gives people a creative way to change their stress and frustration into something beautiful that offers comfort and joy.
- Gardening provides relief from ‘problem solving’ mental attention, shifting the mind to restorative, effortless attention.
- Even a five-minute exposure to a natural scene, or simulation of one, reduces stress symptoms such as raised blood pressure, tensed-up muscles and increased sensitivity of the skin.
With all the health benefits gardening provides it is a no brainer to get out into your garden and start “growing your own”.
By growing your own food you are avoiding some of the negative sides to shopping for food, including a heavy dependence on fossil fuels and chemical fertilisers and pesticides – growing your own food can give you something you may not have considered: exercise. Planting, weeding, watering and caring for your plants will provide you with a workout that is meaningful.
Every little bit counts, by growing your own food, even if you just start with a few crops, you are contributing to a healthier you and a healthier planet. You can grow your own fruits and vegetables from seed for a fraction of the price it costs to buy produce in store. Even better, you can control how your produce is grown to ensure that it is organic and full of nutrients. Atlantic’s Bio Ocean fertiliser is the perfect addition to your veggie planting, so remember to feed your food.