Balcony besties: poppies and petuniasMay 1, 2022
Father’s Day DIYJune 1, 2022
Trendy Veri Peri
The Pantone colour of the year is Very Peri – a courageous, statement-making violet-blue that generates creativity and inspiration in the garden. Cultivate some confidence and curiosity by incorporating a striking variety of purple Veri Peri stunners. Here is your grow guide for 2022.
Eternal purple bliss
According to the trend-setters at Pantone, “17-3938 Very Peri is a dynamic periwinkle blue hue with a vivifying violet-red undertone that blends the faithfulness and constancy of blue with the energy and excitement of red”. In addition, this colour represents:
- Mending and healing
- Courageous creativity
- Imaginative expression
- The power of manifestation
With such passionate connotations connected to this colour, there really is only one thing left to do – GCA Garden Centre here we come!
Your trendy Veri Peri grow guide
Elated tasty edibles
The health benefits of purple food include anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Anthocyanidins are responsible for the purple pigment in our edibles and also helps to boost the immune system.
- Fruit: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, red grapes, figs, plums, and passion fruit.
- Veggies: Beetroot, eggplant, red cabbage, purple cauliflower, and sweet potatoes.
Idyllic indoors for 2022
Having shades of purple plants around the house helps to invoke peace and happiness. There’s a lot going on in the world, so if you’re looking to reap a little more optimism for the new year, grow these:
- Calatheas, cyclamen, orchids, and rubber tree plant(Ficus elastica).
Top tip: Remember to check the sowing and growing season chart on all seed packets, seedling trays, and pots for the best time to introduce your new purple splendours to the garden.
The most brilliant bulbs
When looking at these Veri Peri inspired bulbs, the warmer red-purples are seen as more energetic to the human eye, while the subdued blue-purples are seen as peaceful and contemplative.
- Plant crocus, hyacinth, allium, tulips, liatris, dahlia, anemone, and agapanthus.
Anything but ordinary annuals
Pairing these Veri Peri annuals with hues directly across the colour wheel, such as lime greens and yellow, will create a dynamic contrast in the garden that brings out the best of both extraordinary colours.
- Plant heliotrope, petunia, poppy, verbena, ageratum, nierembergia, verbena, bachelor’s buttons, statice, calibrachoa, torenia, scaevola, and sweet peas.
Peaceful (but popping) perennials
You can create an analogous hue bed by grouping your red-purple and blue-purple perennials together. Experiment with hot and cool-coloured pallets around the garden for a popping landscape this season.
- Plant clematis, baptisia, lupine, iris, campanula, salvia, asters, phlox, Russian sage, perennial geranium, viola, lavender, aconitum, nepeta, delphinium, aquilegia, echinops, platycodon, and pulsatilla.
Remember that perennial plants regrow every spring while annuals only live for one growing season. The advantage of perennials is that they don’t often need replacing (if well looked after), while annuals reward the garden with unique seasonal charm.
Of all the colours, purple is most associated with rarity, royalty, magic, and mystery. Back in the day, some Roman emperors even forbid their citizens from wearing purple or they would face the death penalty!
- Plant buddleia, lilac, wisteria, hydrangea, vitex, ceanothus, azalea, rhododendron, and Texas sage..
Cool-season annuals to inspire you
Begin your Veri Peri adventure by planting these chilled out, charismatic lovelies in beds and pots for a little upliftment as we head into shorter days and longer nights. You can purchase these plants along with fertilisers, compost, and other gardening accessories from your favourite GCA Garden Centre.
- Pansies and violas
- Antirrhinum (snapdragons)
- Delphinum (larkspur)
Become part of the trendy gardening vibe-tribe and have fun playing with the Pantone colour of the year. Bring in excitement, courage, and joy by growing some of these truly gorgeous plants. Life is a Garden, and it’s a purple party!
Source: Life is a Garden